Texarkana Police – Tips to Keep Your Vehicle Safe From Theives
Did you know that summer is the season of not only water sports and vacations it is unfortunately also the season for more car thefts?
According to esurance.com, a vehicle is stolen in the US every 44 seconds.
The Texarkana Arkansas Police Department posted on their Facebook page some great and simple tips to keep your vehicle safe. You might not be able to prevent car theft but you also don't need to make it easy for someone to break in either!
- Don't leave a gun, wallet, debit or credit cards or maybe a laptop or phone? Remove and secure items of value. Remember, Don't make it easy for thieves.
- Never leave the keys inside your vehicle
- Make sure that the windows are all the way up before locking your vehicle.
- Lock your vehicle even if you are only going to be away from it a short time.
- Lock your vehicle even if it is parked in your driveway, inside your garage, or on the street in front of your residence.
- Make sure to activate your vehicle alarm whenever you exit/lock your vehicle.
- Do not leave valuables (i.e. purses, wallets, cellular/smart phones, cameras, laptop computers etc.) inside your vehicle even if it is locked.
- Even if your vehicle is locked and alarmed, do not attempt to “hide” valuables under the seat or under an item of clothing in the vehicle.
- If you have a removable faceplate on your stereo, always remove and take it with you. Do not leave it in the glove compartment.
- Please report any theft from your vehicle immediately to your local law enforcement agency. It is up to you whether or not you choose to report the theft to your insurance company.
- If you observe anyone acting suspiciously in the area of your vehicle or in your neighborhood, report it immediately to law enforcement by dialing 9-1-1.
- Do not keep a “Hide-a-Key” in the wheel well. Burglars will look for this. When they find one, not only will they be able to steal the property inside your vehicle, but you have also just made it easy for them to steal your vehicle!