Click it or Ticket Time
Please be safe while driving this Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend.
The Thanksgiving holiday is one of the busiest travel times of the year, and to help save lives on our roadways, Texarkana Arkansas Patrol Officers will be teaming with other state and local law enforcement officers across the country to crack down on seat belt violations.
Statistics show that the Thanksgiving holiday period can turn deadly for motor vehicle occupants, something that is made more dangerous when the occupants of motor vehicles fail to wear safety belts.
“You will see us out in force during the long weekend, and we’ll be showing zero tolerance for anyone who is not wearing a seatbelt. Our goal is simple: to strictly enforce the law in order to save more lives,” said TAPD Public Information Officer Kristi Mitchell.
The National Safety Council estimates 418 traffic fatalities and another 44,700 injuries requiring medical attention may occur from car crashes during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. It is estimated that 153 lives will be saved Thanksgiving weekend because of people wearing their safety belts.
The Texarkana Police Department recommends the following tips to stay safe on the roads this Thanksgiving weekend:
- Buckle up every trip, every time – even when traveling short distances;
- Refrain from all electronic device use – including hands-free – behind the wheel;
- Secure children in size-appropriate restraints;
- Do not drink and drive as impairment begins with the first drink – if you drink, designate a sober driver or take alternate transportation; and
- Plan ahead and drive defensively, especially during bad weather.
With the help of highway safety advocates and local law enforcement officers across the country, we can increase seat belt use and save lives on our roadways.
Don’t risk it on the road this Thanksgiving. Wear your seat belt so you can spend the holidays celebrating with your loved ones and not worrying about the cost of a ticket. Remember: Click It or Ticket.