Health Officials Warn of Flesh Eating Bacteria in Gulf of Mexico Waters
There have been four cases reported of the flesh eating bacteria "Vibrio vulnificus" effecting visitors to the Gulf of Mexico resulting in the death of an 83-year-old Louisiana man.
The 83-year-old man that died from the bacterial infections had been fishing on a boat, when water splashed into an open wound. Three other victims also contracted the bacteria after swimming in Louisiana Gulf Coast waters.
Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals Secretary Kathy Kliebert said in a news release,
We certainly do not mean to discourage people from enjoying water activities, but we want them to understand the potential risks involved. DHH works with other state and local partners to monitor and test beach water to inform residents of the water quality and we hope residents will heed posted beach advisories when they see them.”
Out of the four cases reported so far, one died, one remains hospitalized, and two were treated and released.