The Texarkana, Texas Police Department has released the name of the police officer involved in Monday's 2 a.m. fatal shooting of a suspected burglar. Officer Brent Lawing has been employed with the department as an officer for three years. He has been assigned to the patrol division for the entire time. The officer has a total of seven years of law enforcement experience and will remain on paid administrative leave while the investigation is ongoing.

Texarkana, Texas Police responded to a burglary-in-progress call at 2 a.m. Monday in which the suspect was reportedly inside the garage of a residence near the 2700 block of Page Street.

The caller advised police dispatch that the suspect was using some sort of tool to break out a window to gain entry in to the residence. An officer arrived on scene and approached the resident’s garage, which had a large tarp covering the entry.

When the officer entered the garage he found the suspect inside. The suspect then came toward the officer in an aggressive manner with a metal object in his hand. The officer ordered the man to stop, but the suspect continued toward the officer. The officer fired one shot, which struck the suspect in the chest.

The suspect, Dennis Grigsby, 35, of Texarkana, Texas was taken to Christus St. Michael Hospital where he later died. His body has been sent to the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Science for an autopsy.

An investigation by the Texarkana, Texas Police Department revealed that the previously described metal object held by Grigsby was not a knife but rather a silver, metallic spoon, approximately seven inches in length. Further, police say the spoon was held  in a manner consistent with someone holding a knife.

"The bowl of the spoon was concealed by Grigsby’s closed fist with the shank of the spoon protruding from the bottom of the closed fist giving the appearance of a knife blade. A witness at the scene has confirmed that he believed the suspect had a knife when he was approaching the officer," according to a statement issued by police.

Texarkana, Texas Police Department called in the Texas Rangers to investigate this incident. As is normal procedure, the officer has been placed on administrative leave until the investigation is complete.