Lottery Winner Poisoned With Cyanide
How scary is this! You win a $1 million lottery. The day before you collect the money, you’re dead. That’s what happen to a Chicago man last summer.
Last June, Urroj Khan won a million dollars off a scratch off lottery ticket. On July 19 he claimed his prize. The next day he was dead. It was first thought by natural causes. Until a relative came forward and asked for police to investigate.
In an interview, Medical Examiner Stephen J. Cina said that within a week of Khan’s death a concerned relative asked his office to take a closer look at the case.
By early December, the medical examiner’s office determined from comprehensive toxicology tests that Khan had died of a lethal amount of cyanide.
According to an internal police department document obtained by the Tribune, Khan came home from work to his West Rogers Park residence on the night he died. He ate dinner about an hour later and eventually went to bed. He was later heard screaming and was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, where he was pronounced dead, the document said.
Police are now treating it as a homicide. The lottery ticket was cashed by family members the next month.
I’ve often wondered about the safety of Lottery winners with their identity being revealed to the public, but this is death is obviously from someone who he knows! Unlike last month, where a woman was convicted in Florida who befriended a lottery winner, killed him and stole his money.